In partnership with Tsinghua University Centre for Development and Finance and the China Green Finance Committee, the GBN is hosting its:
Sixth Annual Green Bank Congress
Green Banks, Green Funds and Green Public-Private Partnerships:
Exploring Effective Tools to Mobilize Private Investment in Low Carbon, Climate Resilient Infrastructure
November 29, 2018 at the Ritz-Carlton Pudong in Shanghai, China
The IPCC’s fall 2018 report finds that if the 1.5˚C goal is to be met, investments in low-carbon energy technology and energy efficiency will need increase by roughly a factor of five by 2050 compared to 2015 levels. This will require an unprecedented mobilization and redirection of domestic and international capital. In short order, successful strategies will have to be adapted and scaled and new financial instruments will have to be deployed to apportion risk in novel ways. Stable and effective enabling environments will have to be put in place that are nevertheless sufficiently flexible to account for rapid change.
Crucially, each unit of public or donor money will have to be used to mobilize multiples of private capital. Expert, specialized financial intermediaries known as Green Banks (sometimes referred to as green finance facilities or green development funds) can be a focal point for facilitating the climate finance ambition and market transformation demanded by the Paris Agreement, while delivering multiple SDG-focused benefits to governments and companies.
Against this backdrop, the Sixth Annual Green Bank Congress provides an exciting opportunity to understand the success stories and the lessons learned by the growing collective of Green Banks around the world, which, from a limited capital base, are mobilizing on average more than 3 times public capital invested while generating sufficient profits to sustain and grow their own operations.
- Green Banks in the broader landscape of climate finance players
- Strategies for Green Bank design and capitalization
- Different models used by Green Banks to deploy capital
- Potential regional strategies to aggregate, leverage and accelerate climate finance
Hosts and Partners
- Green Bank Network (GBN Secretariat: Coalition for Green Capital & Natural Resources Defense Council)
- GBN Co-Hosts: Clean Energy Finance Corporation and Green Investment Group
- Chinese Partners: Tsinghua University Centre for Development and Finance and China Green Finance Committee
- Supporting Organizations: Shanghai Lujiazui Green Finance Committee and Shenzhen Green Finance Committee
- Media Partner: Bloomberg New Energy Finance
- Sponsor: ClimateWorks Foundation
Past events have been held in New York City, United States; Tokyo, Japan; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; and Edinburgh, Scotland. The 2017 Green Bank Congress was held as an official side event at ClimateWeek in New York on September 18, 2017. It featured senior executives of Green Banks, the IDB and the OECD, a keynote by Howard Bamsey, Executive Director of the Green Climate Fund as well as a global set of high-level green financiers and policy makers from China, the United States, India, Mexico, Chile, Colombia, UK, Australia, Canada, Japan, and other countries. The agenda as well as presentations and photos from the 2017 Green Bank Congress can be accessed here.